Thursday, April 16, 2009

Foraging

As I've mentioned, I did a bit of foraging as a child. Berry-picking and chewing of sassafras roots, and so forth. My dad occasionally nibbled a blade of grass, more to make me giggle than for taste. My step-mother brought home puffball mushrooms from the woods once or twice. Seeing dandelions everywhere has made me think about possible uses for that supposed weed. Of course, one has to make sure they are not sprayed with pesticides (if only grocery store produce was guaranteed the same, without the organic pricetag).

The Fat of the Land is a blog after my own heart, all about urban foraging. He has recipes and hunting suggestions for fiddlehead ferns, dandelions, and mushrooms, as well as green weedy things I never knew the names of. I'm having visions of wild green salads, although the author recommends mixing wild greens with more familiar greens such as spinach for beginning foragers.

I'm also interested in making dandelion wine along with the fruit wines that I plan on making with the wild blackberries that grow on the side of the road near our little homestead. Dear Husband (DH) is somewhat dubious about this idea, preferring instead to brew his more familiar beers.

I learned about spring beauty on a field trip in elementary school. Not just a description, it is a little white flower with tubers similar to the potato, but smaller. I've been meaning to track some down for years, perhaps this is the year. The leaves are also edible, and were consumed by Native Americans.

Onion grass is one of those crazy weeds that takes over the yard. But is it edible? It certainly smells like the chives that it resembles.

No comments:

Post a Comment