Thursday, May 31, 2012

She's Back!

It's been quite awhile since I posted in this blog, but a lot's been going on around the Homestead.

Most importantly, DH and I are expecting our first child at the end of August.  Although we're planning on delivering in a hospital, we're going for an unmedicated, natural birth. We were surprised to find out that under 5% of the births in our area are unmedicated.  Then again, with the number of people telling me to "take the drugs," maybe I'm not so surprised.

Because I'm currently seven months pregnant, and knew I would be limited in my stooping abilities and desire to work out in the heat and humidity this summer, we've scaled back the garden.  We're still growing tomatoes, five plants total. There are three sad looking butternut squash plants, a cucumber plant in a hanging pot, lots of herbs, hot and sweet peppers, and strawberries that I started from seed last year.  We're also taking full advantage of the farmers' market for good greens and fresh fruit.

I love the first day of the farmers' market because it's the first day that I can get strawberries. I know that I can get them at the grocery store, but after getting them straight from the source, Safeway's just can't satisfy me.  We buy quarts and quarts of strawberries.  Some are just for eating, some are for desserts, some go in salads, and some end up in jam.

Here is a strawberry almond tart:
This came from a recipe I pinned on Pinterest.  Here's a link to the original. We made this for Mother's Day and it was a big hit.  Just behind, you can see homemade whipped cream.  

So go ahead, enjoy that fresh produce!

No comments:

Post a Comment